Friday, May 19, 2006

i'd like some lung cancer with a side order of emphysema, please.

i quit smoking years ago, and now i only indulge when i'm heavily drinking. sometimes when i'm really stressed i buy a pack, but that's only every once in a while. (and the entire year of 2005, but that's another post altogether.) here lately i've been stress free. the biggest decision i've had to make was whether to use the Frozen Lemon Custard or Powdered Sugar Cookie bath gel sample that Sephora graciously sent me. my biggest worry is if i have enough time to stop at Sonic for a big ass iced tea before work. i even made it through finals without a smoky treat, and yet i've been craving one for about a week now. wtf?!?! should i give in to the lovely, lung blackening goody, or should i grit my teeth and forego the delicious stick of joy? the weirdest thing is that i crave them most at the gym when i'm on the treadmill, and i'm pretty sure that wouldn't go over well with the health freaks there. i'll ponder it for another day, but if i still want one tomorrow, i'm hitting the smoke shop first thing in the morning.

5 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

DON'T DO IT!!!

As a former smoker of ten years, whose mom has emphasema from her once smoking habit, I protest even the thought of smoking.

Not everyone gets to witness first hand how bad it is for you. I have, and that has made me quit.

Besides, I was spending $200 a month on my one to two pack a day habit. You know how many CD's you can buy with that? I enjoy a CD more than two packs of smokes.

Now, go spend all your music on iTunes or buying discs, so you can't spend it on death sticks.

5/20/2006 12:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say we all have flaws, vices, bad habits and even addictions be it coffee, sugar, etc. A good draw of a good tobacco isn't going to send you 6 feet under as long as you feel confident that you can put them down and it seems like you are. I know a few "occassional smokers" and I say more power to them.
Enjoy!
Peace............

5/20/2006 06:45:00 AM  
Blogger christine said...

Michael- what a vehement comment. i was almost convinced, and then i read Helen's comment. i didn't swing by the smoke shop because i was running late to work. but i may bum one from my one of my cancer riddled co-workers later.

5/20/2006 09:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a smoker of 10 years who doesn't smoke -- that is I quit 139 days ago...but who's counting...and I haven't had a drag since.

That said I have to think that at some point I'd like to have the occasional smoke. I'm not ready for that, but if you feel you are Christine, I say go for it.

All things in moderation. Usually the things that are the most fun in life come with a big helping of risk attached. Otherwise, they wouldnt be that fun would they.

5/20/2006 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger christine said...

schadenfreude- congrats and good luck with the no smoking. i'm just an occasional indulger, but i've been on a health kick and wasn't sure if i wanted to ruin it. true about how everything fun in life has risk.

5/20/2006 02:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

back to top (you lazy bastard)