Saturday, June 10, 2006

this one time...

a telemarketer called my house, and i don't remember with whom he was employed. it seems, however, that his company's policy did not allow him to hang up on me. i must either purchase something or hang up on him. i realized this when i stated i wasn't interested, and he went into another sales pitch. again, i politely declined so he started sales pitch three. i don't accept that offer so he starts with pitch number one again. now, i realize the rules to his employment. being bored and a bitch, i keep this up for quite some time, and i can hear his exasperation. surely, he will thank me for my time and hang up, but he doesn't. i'm not sure how long we stayed in this vicious cycle, but after it wasn't fun any more, i hung up. are there really companies that inflict such instructions on their employees?

6 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

evil, evil, evil

6/11/2006 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger christine said...

i wasn't really trying to be mean. i think i was in shock that the call wouldn't end. i think i was trying to 'beat' him, but in the end, he won.

6/11/2006 01:15:00 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Oh no... funny. I didn't mean you were evil (although we all take our own baggage on this trip) I was actually referring to the company policy.

6/11/2006 02:53:00 PM  
Blogger christine said...

hmmm. i must be so used to people calling me evil that i assumed you were talking about me. for future reference, i don't mind being called evil, but in this instance, i wasn't in cahoots with Lucifer or his minions. i was just goofing around.

6/11/2006 08:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As soon as they start their sales pitch I either put the phone down on a chair and let them talk to the furniture or I refuse to respond when they start asking questions. I like to see how many hello's they'll give before hanging up.

6/11/2006 09:10:00 PM  
Blogger christine said...

Dawn Benko- haven't tried that strategy. i don't get telemarketers now that i turned off my landline phone. now, i just have to screen for family members...

6/12/2006 09:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

back to top (you lazy bastard)