Wednesday, June 28, 2006

small talk makes me want to barf.

why do people always feel the need to fill dead silence with meaningless crap? there is nothing wrong with quiet reflection, assholes. i work with people who are the reigning queens of idle talk. instead of complying, i'm resorting to these responses from now on.

"man, it's hot today." better get used to it because hell's a lot worse.

"that's some bright hair." thanks for pointing it out. even though i dyed it a color named Nuclear Red, i thought it was dull and lifeless...much like you're personality.

"how's school going?" (this one is tricky because, on the surface, it seems that the person is actually interested in my life and making legitimate inquiries, but i know better. the person never really listens to my answer, and the proof will be when she doesn't even flinch at my new response.) it's great. i'm sleeping with all my professors because i got sick of going to class.

"how're you?" not bad now that the boil cleared up.

"what are you listening to?" (this one's the worst because i have my headphones in and my iPod on just so i can avoid this damn chit chat. now, i have to remove them and answer the dolt asking the question.) my 'songs that make me want to go on murderous rampages' playlist.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do YOU suggest people get a convo going if not to say something? Yes, there's nothing wrong with silence but sometimes people actually want to converse or make a new friend whatever.

See I say this because I've always (since I was 5 or 6) had social anxiety disorder. I am a nervous wreck when confronted with the possibility of being around people or talking to them. This has always caused me to have 0 to 1 friend at a time. I'd hate to think I'm at the park with my kids and actually work up the nerve to speak.. and the person is thinking "fuck off bitch" ..which is of course what I always think they think anyway.

6/28/2006 05:10:00 PM  
Blogger christine said...

in case you glossed over the first part of my post, these are my new responses to my co-workers- as in the people i see every day of my life. how many days in a row can they ask me about the weather or my classes? at a more social gathering like the park you mention, even bitches like me can be more tolerant. in the work ladies' room, however, i do not wish to discuss the obvious color of my hair. these people are not new to my personality. i've worked here many, many, many years. and if the headphones can't give you a clue that i don't want to talk, you deserve the rays that shoot out of my eyes.

6/28/2006 05:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True LOL No, I haven't worked a lot of places and the ones I do work at tend to have high turnover rates (restaurants, answering services)... so no one has been there for "years" except me. LOL

6/29/2006 12:58:00 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

People suck.

I'm looking forward to the day I get my very own cubicle, that i'll put a nice, cargo net-like door on, with a big "go away" sign on.

then, the first idiot who tries to talk to me, gets the tazer.

6/29/2006 01:02:00 AM  
Blogger christine said...

michael- you crack me up. i had a 'door' for a while. it was a banner (made out of flag type material) that i hung sideways from the ceiling. people left me alone more since only people tall enough to peek over my cubicle walls would stop to talk. it was taken down when our company was on the market, and we were pretending to be serious workers for prospective buyers. i do believe it's time i hang that sucker back up. as for the tazer- let me know how that works out.

6/29/2006 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger Silverstar said...

Hi,
I know exactly what you mean about small talk. Another pet peeve of mine is when you talk to co-workers who gossip about each other. Makes you wonder what their saying about you when you're not around.;)

7/12/2006 01:55:00 PM  
Blogger christine said...

the office gossips abound in my workplace, too. i really don't care what they say about me, and i sometimes try to give them juicy things to spread around. unfortunately, it's all made up because i lead a sad and dull life.

7/12/2006 10:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

back to top (you lazy bastard)